Alon Y. Mass, MD
Accepting New Patients
Dr. Alon Mass graduated with honors from Cornell University in 2008. He received his Medical Degree from NYU School of Medicine in 2012, where he served as Student Body President. He completed his Urology Residency at NYU Langone Medical Center, Bellevue Hospital and Manhattan VA Hospital where he served as the Chief Resident in 2017.
During his residency, Dr. Mass received extensive training from international experts in the fields of robotic urologic surgery, urinary tract reconstruction, MRI-guided techniques for the detection of prostate cancer, minimally invasive treatments for kidney stone disease and benign prostatic enlargement, and the medical and surgical treatments for male sexual dysfunction, to name a few.
Dr. Mass has authored numerous articles and textbook chapters in peer reviewed urology journals and textbooks in topics ranging from the genitourinary pathology experienced by taxi drivers to novel robotic surgical techniques for various urologic cancers. He has presented at both national and international conferences, where he has received numerous awards for his work.
NYU School of Medicine – New York City, NY
Internship & Residency
NYU Langone Medical Center, Bellevue Hospital, Manhattan VA Hospital
Languages SpokenEnglish, Hebrew
- Robotic Surgery
- Urinary Tract Reconstruction
- Prostate Cancer
- Kidney Stone Disease
- Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
- Male Sexual Dysfunction
ALL CONDITIONS TREATED
- Advanced Treatments of Kidney & Bladder Stones
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
- Bladder Cancer
- Circumcision (Foreskin Problems)
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Kidney Cancer
- Kidney/Ureteral Stones
- Male Sexual Medicine
- Minimally Invasive Robotic & Laparoscopic Surgery
- Overactive Bladder (OAB)
- Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Penile Prosthesis Surgery
- Prostate Cancer
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Voiding Dysfunction
AWARDS & HONORS
- 2nd Place, Miscellaneous Category, NYS AUA Valentine Resident Essay Contest (2017)
- 1st Place, Clinical Category, NYS AUA Valentine Resident Essay Contest (2016)
- Best Overall Abstract Award, 2015 AUA, New Orleans, LA; contributing author (2015)
- Best Poster Award, 2014 World Congress of Endourology, Taipei, Taiwan (2014)
- Samuel and Edgar H. Soifer Memorial award for excellence in Urology, NYU School of Medicine (2012)
- Medicine Clerkship award for an “Outstanding essay in Medical Humanism” (2011)
- NYU Presidential Service Award, presented by NYU President John Sexton (2010)
- NYU School of Medicine Student Body President’s Gavel Award (2010)
- Plaque of special recognition and excellence – Presented at the NYU School of Medicine Ambassador Induction Ceremony (2010)
- American Urological Association
- Overlook Hospital – Summit, NJ
- St. Michael’s Medical Center – Newark, NJ
- The Stone Center of New Jersey – Newark, NJ
- Clara Maass Medical Center – Belleville, NJ
- Short Hills Surgery Center – Millburn, NJ
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital of Rahway – Rahway, NJ
- Potretzke AM, Alexander KB, Zargar H, Kaouk JH, Barod R, Rogers CG, Mass AY, Stifelman MD, Johnson MH, Allaf ME, Sherburne FR, and Bhayani SB. Urinary fistula after robotic partial nephrectomy: a multicenter analysis of 1791 patients. BJU International. 2016; 117(1): 131-137.
- Abdullah N, Dalela D, Barod R, Larson J, Johnson M, Mass AY, Zargar H, Allaf M, Bhayani S, Stifelman M, Kaouk J, Rogers C. Robotic partial nephrectomy for renal tumours in obese patients: Perioperative outcomes in a multi-institutional analysis. Canadian Urological Association Journal. 2015 9(11-12): E859-62.
- Marien T, Mass AY, and Shah O. Antimicrobial Resistance Patterns in Cases of Obstructive Pyelonephritis Secondary to Stones. Urology. 2015; 85(1): 64-68.
- Mass AY, Goldfarb DS, and Shah O. Taxi Cab Syndrome: A Review of the Extensive Genitourinary Pathology Experienced by Taxi Cab Drivers and What We Can Do to Help. Reviews in Urology. 2014; 16(3): 99-104.
- Ramaswamy K, Marien T, Mass AY, Stifelman M, and Shah O. Simplified approach to estimating renal function based on computerized tomography. The Canadian Journal of Urology. 2013; 20(4): 6833-6839.
- Mass AY, Agalliu I, Laze J, and Lepor H. “Preoperative statin therapy is not associated with biochemical recurrence after radical prostatectomy: our experience and meta-analysis.” The Journal of Urology. 2012; 188(3): 786-791.
- Mass, AY. Intercessory Prayer: What Do Sneezes and Prayers Have in Common? Faculty Peer Reviewed by Dr. Michael Tanner, Executive Editor. Class Act. Clinical Correlations: The NYU Langone Internal Medicine Blog-A Daily Dose of Medicine. Sept, 2011.
- Fraser JF, Mass AY, Brown S, Anand VK, and Schwartz TH. Transnasal Endoscopic Resection of a Cavernous Sinus Hemangioma: Technical Note and Review of the Literature. Skull Base. 2008; 18(5): 309-315.
Presentations & Published Abstracts:
- Mass AY, Prabhu V, Bryck D, Lepor H and Zhaoa LC. Statin Therapy May Improve Long-Term Sexual Function After Radical Prostatectomy. 2015 AUA Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA. Podium session.
- Zargar H, Rogers C, Bhayani S, Allaf M, Larson JA, Barod R, Mass AY, Johnson MH, Stifelman M, and Kaouk JH. Trifecta Outcomes Of Robotic Partial Nephrectomy For T1b Renal Masses: A Multi-Institutional Analysis. 2015 AUA Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA. Poster session.
- Zargar H, Allaf M, Rogers C, Stifelman M, Bhayani S, Mass AY, Barod R, Johnson MH, Larson JA, and Kaouk, JH. Minimum 5-year follow-up after Robotic Partial Nephrectomy : A Multi-Institutional Analysis. 2015 AUA Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA. Poster session.
- Larson JA, Kaouk JH, Rogers C, Stifelman M, Allaf M, Johnson MH, Zargar H, Mass AY, Barod R, and Bhayani S. Complications after robotic-assisted partial nephrectomy at 5 United States centers: analysis of 1838 cases. 2015 AUA Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA. Poster session.
- Larson JA, Kaouk JH, Rogers C, Stifelman M, Allaf M, Johnson MH, Zargar H, Mass AY, Barod R, and Bhayani S. Tumor Size Predicts High-grade Pathology in pT1a Renal Cell Cancer. 2015 AUA Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA. Poster session.
- Larson JA, Kaouk JH, Rogers C, Stifelman M, Allaf M, Johnson MH, Zargar H, Mass AY, Barod R, and Bhayani S. Racial Differences in Histologic Subtype of Renal Cell Carcinoma in pT1a Renal Cell Cancer. 2015 AUA Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA. Poster session.
- Linares Espinós E, González J, Martínez-Salamanca JI, Novara G, Bertini R, Carballido J, Chromecki T, Ciancio G, Daneshmand S, Evans C, Gontero P, Haferkamp A, Hohenfellner M, Huang WC, Koppie T, Lascano D, Lorentz A, Mass AY, Master V, McKierna J, Mir C, Mlynarczyk C, Montorsi F, Nguyen H, Pahernik S, Palou J, Pruthi R, Rodríguez-Faba O, Russo P, Scherr DS, Shariat S, Spahn M, Terrone C, Tilki D, Vergho D, Wallen E, Zigeuner R, and Libertino JA. A transplant-based surgical approach may improve postoperative complications in cases of renal cell carcinoma and tumor thrombus. 2015 AUA Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA. Plenary session. Best Overall Abstract AUA 2015.
- Pak JS, Lascano D, Finklestein JB, McKiernan JM, DeCastro GJ, Capitanio U, Carballido JA, Chantada V, Chromecki T, Ciancio G, Daneshmand S, Evans CP, Gontero P, González J, Haferkamp A, Hohenfellner M, Huang WC, Koppie TM, Linares Espinós E, Lorentz A, Martínez-Salamanca JI, Martul D, Mass AY, Master VA, Mir C, Montorsi F, Novara G, O’Malley P, Pahernik S, Palou J, Moreno JLP, Pruthi RS, Faba OR, Russo P, Scherr DS, Shariat S, Spahn M, Terrone C, Tilki D, Donoso CV, Vergho D, Wallen EM, Zigeuner R, and Libertino JA. The Significance of Symptomatology: Analysis from the International Renal Cell Carcinoma-Venous Thrombus Consortium (IRCC-VTC). 2015 AUA Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA. Poster session.
- Mass AY and Zhao LC. Robotic Intracorporeal Ileal Conduit Using The Intuitive Endowrist One Robotic Stapler. 2014 World Congress Of Endourology Meeting, Taipei, Taiwan. Video Poster session.
- Mass AY, Zhao LC, and Stifelman M. Concurrent Robotic Ureteral Reimplant And Buccal Mucosa Graft Ureteroplasty: A Novel Technique For Reconstruction Of Multiple Ureteral Strictures. 2014 World Congress of Endourology Meeting, Taipei, Taiwan. Video Poster session. Won Best Poster Award.
- Wollin DA, Mass AY, Borofsky M, Marien T, and Shah O. Delays Of Treatment For Obstructive Pyelonephritis Due To Stones By Non-Urologic Services Lengthens Hospitalization And Increases Morbidity. 2014 World Congress of Endourology Meeting, Taipei, Taiwan. Poster session.
- Mass AY, Wollin DA, Borofsky M, Marien T, Sadiq A, Ayaz M, Sridhar D, Johnson E and Shah O. Stenting May Be Superior To Nephrostomy Tube Placement In The Setting Of Obstructive Pyelonephritis Secondary To Ureteral Stones. 2014 World Congress of Endourology Meeting, Taipei, Taiwan. Poster session.
- Mass AY, Sivarajan G, Huang W and Zhao LC. A Novel Approach To Robotic Simple Prostatectomy Using The Intuitive Endowrist One Vessel Sealer. 2014 World Congress of Endourology Meeting, Taipei, Taiwan. Video Poster session.
- Marien T, Mass AY, and Shah O. Antimicrobial resistance patterns in patients with febrile stones. 2012 AUA Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA. Poster session.
- Mass AY, Mone A, Laze J and Lepor H. Preoperative statin therapy is not associated with prolonged biochemical free survival after radical prostatectomy. 2012 AUA Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA. Poster session.
Always check with your health insurance carrier before scheduling any type of service. You can learn the details of your individual health insurance plan, including the amount of your copay, deductible, and coinsurance by visiting your health insurance company’s website or by calling their customer service department.