State University of New York – Albany, NY
Internship & Residency
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine – Cincinnati, OH
Dr. Akwasi Afriyie Boateng began his medical education at the State University of New York, Upstate Medical University at Syracuse. He completed his surgical internship at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, where he also completed his residency and chief residency in Urologic Surgery.
At Cincinnati, he received many awards including the Outstand Resident, Quality Improvement Directors Achievement, Laparoscopic Achievement, and Graduate Medical Education awards. His peers awarded him the prestigious Arnold P. Gold Foundation Award for Humanism and Excellence in Teaching in recognition of his excellence in clinical care, leadership, compassion and dedication to service.
Dr. Boateng is trained in the management of a wide range of urological conditions. He is proficient in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for the kidney, adrenal, bladder, ureter and prostate conditions, both benign and cancerous. He is highly skilled in endourology and percutaneous procedures for kidney stones and ureteral tumors. He is well trained in the medical and surgical management of benign prostatic hypertrophy, or BPH, as well as treatments for urinary incontinence.
- American Urologic Association, AUA, Resident Member
- Ohio Urological Association, OUS, Resident Member
- Student National Medical Association, SNMA
- American Medical Association, Resident Member
- Sigma Xi
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- The National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- The National Scholars Honor Society
- Quality Improvement Award, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Division of Urology
- Outstanding Resident Achievement Award. Presented for overall exceptional achievement at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Division of Urology
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Award for Humanism and Excellence in Teaching and Outstanding Resident Role Model
- Dean’s Letter of Commendation for Outstanding Academic Performance
- Reed Scholarship
- Medical Alumni Scholar Award
- Glenn L. Bumpus Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research, Albany, NY
- Class of 1905 Bazzoni Fellowship for Outstanding Achievement in the Natural Sciences, Albany, NY
- Dean’s List, State University of New York, University at Albany
- National Dean’s List
- Spellman Achievement Award
- Boateng AA, Sriram K, Meguid MM, Crook M. Refeeding syndrome: treatment considerations based on collective analysis of literature case reports. Nutrition. 2010 Feb;26(2):156-67. Review.
- Boateng AA, Eltahawy EA, Mahdy A. Vaginal repair of ureterovaginal fistula may be suitable for selected cases. Int Urogynecol J. 2013 Mar 23. PubMed PMID: 23525821.
- Boateng AA, Vinson MA, Mutema GK, Kuhn EJ. Malignant ascites and small renal mass: an unusual presentation of advanced renal cell carcinoma. Urology. 2013 Sep;82(3):e28-9.
- Boateng AA, Mohamed MA, Mahdy AE. Novel management approach to connecting tube erosion of artificial urinary sphincter. Can J Urol. 2014 Apr;21(2):7246-7.
- Overactive Bladder. University of Cincinnati, Division of Urology, Grand Rounds. August 2011
- Boateng AA, Mahdy A. Vaginal repair of Vesicovaginal Fistula. Ohio Urologic Society, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. April 2012
- Renovascular Hypertension, University of Cincinnati, Division of Urology, Grand Rounds. October 2012
- Neuropathic Bladder, University of Cincinnati, Division of Urology, Grand Rounds. December 2012
- Changing Landscape of Cytoreductive Nephrectomy, University of Cincinnati, Division of Urology, Grand Rounds. January 2014
- Boateng AA, Kim C, Sidana A, Patil, NN. Hounsfield Unit as a predictor of stone-free rates in Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy. OUS Annual Meeting 2013, Sandusky, OH. February 2013. 87th Annual meeting of NCS, 2013, Naples, Fl. October 2013.
- Sidana A, Boateng AA, Patil NN. Utility of smart phone in patient management in Urology. OUS Annual Meeting 2013, Sandusky, OH. February 2013. 87th Annual meeting of NCS, 2013, Naples, Fl. October 2013.
- El-Tayeb M, Boateng AA, Schulte, M, Noh P. Conservative versus Surgical management of Multicystic Dysplastic Kidney (MCDK) from the cost analysis point of view. Accepted, 88th Annual NCS meeting, Chicago, Illinois, September 2014.