Boston University School of Medicine – Boston, MA
Internship & Residency
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center – Pittsburgh, PA
Dr. Rajen P. Butani received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Rochester. He then earned a master’s and medical degree from Boston University School of Medicine, and completed his surgical and urologic training at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Then, Dr. Butani completed an Endourology Fellowship at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, NY, concentrating in endoscopy, laparoscopy and robotics. A board certified urologist, Dr. Butani specializes in laparoscopic and robotic management of renal and prostate carcinoma as well as benign renal pathologies, such as ureteropelvic junction obstructions, complex ureteral strictures and complex stone disease. He has been practicing urology for more than 14 years.
- Ureteral Pelvic Floor Obstruction
- Ureteral Strictures
- Adrenal Cancer
- Bladder Cancer
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Genitourinary Tract Conditions
- Urinary Incontinence
- Kidney Cancer
- Kidney Stones
- Neurogenic Bladder
- Overactive Bladder (OAB)
- Premature Ejaculation
- Prostate Cancer
Society of Robotic Surgeons
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
American Urologic Association
American Association of Clinical Urologists
Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital Guardian Angel Award Recipient (2014, 2016)
Top Doc Award, SJ Magazine (2012, 2013, 2015)
Top Doc, South Jersey Magazine (2011)
Best Physicians Award (2011)
Compassionate Doctor Recognition Award (2010-2012)
Patients’ Choice 5th Anniversary Award (2012)
Patients’ Choice Award (2008-2012)
Top 10 Doctor in the State, Vitals
Compassionate Doctor 5-year Honoree, Vitals
Patients’ Choice 5th Anniversary Award, Vitals
UPMC Representative for the 2005 National Preceptorship in Laparoscopy
Praecis Pharmaceuticals/AUA Gerald P. Murphy Scholar (2004)
1st Place- Basic Science Research Essay- Pittsburgh Urologic: 2004
1st Place- Basic Science Research Essay- Pittsburgh Urologic: 2003
- Krishnan, J. and Butani, R.P.: Complex Robotic Partial Nephrectomy for Anterior/Centrally Located Tumor—Video Presentation at SLS in 2013.
- Krishnan J., Brown, G., Butani, R.: Robotic Ureterolithotomy with Flexible Pyeloscpy for Stone Clearance—Video Presentation at SLS 2012.
- McGinley K.F., Merrill, M.M., Keeler, L.L., and Butani, R.P.: “Practice Patterns and Outcomes of Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Pyeloplasty from a Community-Based Institution: 2006-2009”—Presented at MAAUA 68th Annual Meeting Abstract Presentation, Annual Clinical Assembly of Osteopathic Surgeons and UMDNJ-SOM Research Day.
- McGinley K.F., Merrill, M.M., Keeler, L.L., and Butani, R.P.: “Practice Patterns and Outcomes of Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Pyeloplasty from a Community-Based Institution: 2006-2009.” The Canadian Journal of Urology, 17 (4): 5316, 2010.
- Docimo, S.G and Butani, R.P.: “Endoscopic Surgery in Infants and Children, Chapter 95”, Minimally Invasive Techniques for Lower Urinary Tract Reconstruction: Springer, Feb. 1, 2008.
- Butani, R.P. and Eshghi, M.: “Cold Knife Retrograde Endopyelotomy: A Long-term Follow-up. Journal of Endourology. April 1, 2008, 22(4): 657-660.
- Butani, R.P. and Eshghi, M.: “A Cost Analysis for the Management of Prostate Cancer in the United States”, Podium Presentation at the AUA NY Sectional Meeting in Vienna, Austria, 2005.
- Butani, R.P., Durrani, O.H., Averch, T., and Jackman, S.: “Endopyeloplasty: Marsupialization of a High-Inserting Ureter”, Video presentation at WCE 2005.
- Butani, R.P., Ricchuitti, D., Durrani O.H., Jackman, S., and Averch, T.: “Left-Hand Assisted Laparoscopic Nephrectomy for Renal Cell Carcinoma with Tumor Thrombus Extension into the Inferior Vena Cava”, Video presentation at WCE 2005.
- Ricchuitti, D., Durrani O.H, Butani, R.P., Jackman, S., and Averch, T.: “Laparoscopic Pyelolithotmy in a Pelvic Kidney: The Video”, Video presentation at WCE 2005.
- Gibbons, E., Durrani, O., Butani, R., Ricciutti, D., Averch, T., and Nelson, J.: Feasability and Outcome of Retrograde Endoscopy in a Post-Prostatectomy Population”, Moderated Poster presentation at WCE 2005.
- Udelson, D., L’Esperance, J., Morales, A.M., Patel, R.P., and Goldstein, I.: “The Mechanics of Corporal Veno-Occlusion in Penile Erection: A Theory on the Efect of Stretch-Associated Luminal Constrictability on Outflow Resistance”, International Journal of Impotence Research. 12(6): 315-27, 2000 Dec.
- L’Esperance, J., Patel, R.P., Dhir, V., Krane, R.J., Udelson, D. and Goldstein, I.: “Hematocrit Influences Outflow Resistance: An In Vitro Study Examining the Clinical Association of Anemia with Impotence and Blood Sludging with Priapism”, Presented at the 1998 ISIR.
- Geffen, M., Patel, R.P., Bastuba, M.D., Krane, R.J., and Goldstein, I.: “Penile Prosthesis Implantation in Severe Corporal Fibrosis: Surgical Technique and Patient Experience”, Presented at the 1998 ISIR.
- Udelson, D., L’Esperance, J., Patel, R.P., Martin-Morales, A., Sciortino, D., Krane, R.J., and Goldstein, I.: “Engineering Analysis of Corporal Veno-Occlusion: The Effect of ‘Stretch-Associated Luminal Constrictability’ on Outflow Resistance”, Presented at the 1997 ISIR.
- Inspira Medical Center (Elmer, Vineland, Woodbury)
- Our Lady of Lourdes (Camden)
- Virtua (Marlton, Voorhees)
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna PPO
- Amerigroup (Medicaid)
- AmeriHealth (HMO, PPO)
- AmeriHealth Administrators
- Clover Health
- Coventry & First Health
- Emblem HIP HMO
- Empire BCBS
- Health Net Patient-Centered Community Care Program
- Health Net Veterans Choice Program
- Horizon BCBS (Traditional & Managed Care)
- Horizon BCBS Medicare (Patient Centered HMO)
- Horizon NJ Health (Horizon NJ TotalCare HMO/SNP)
- Humana ChoiceCare PPO
- Independence Blue Cross
- Keystone Health (AmeriHealth)
- Medicare, RR Medicare
- Oscar (Through Qualcare)
- Oxford (Liberty & Freedom)
- Oxford (Metro & Garden State)
- Qualcare (HMO, POS, PPO, Workers Comp, Community Care)
- Tricare East
- Humana Military
- Tricare 4 Life
- United Healthcare (Commercial)
- United Healthcare (Medicare Advantage PPO)
- US Family Health Plan