Emad R. Rizkala, MD
Accepting New Patients
Dr. Rizkala graduated Magna Cum Laude from the City College of New York in 2003, where he was enrolled in the highly selective Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education, a 7-year B.S/M.D program. He then continued his medical education at the State University of New York – Stony Brook School of Medicine and received his M.D. degree in 2005. Dr. Rizkala completed his surgical internship and urology residency at New York Medical College/Westchester Medical Center in 2011. From there, Dr. Rizkala completed a fellowship in Minimally Invasive Urology at the highly ranked Cleveland Clinic Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute in 2013, where he received additional training in robotics (including single-port robotic surgery), laparoscopy, complex ureteroscopy, and percutaneous nephrolithotomy.
Dr. Rizkala has published numerous articles, some of which have received awards, in peer-reviewed journals and has given many presentations at national and international conferences. He has also been involved in the teaching of urology residents and attending physicians at multiple international hospitals. He is a member of the American Urological Association, Society of Robotic Surgery, and the Endourology Society. Dr Rizkala is Board Certified in Urology.
Along with general urology, Dr. Rizkala specializes in the minimally invasive treatment of benign (kidney and ureteral stones/strictures, prostate enlargement, and benign adrenal tumors) and malignant urological conditions, such as kidney, adrenal, prostate, and bladder cancers. Dr. Rizkala has joined the team in 2014.
State University of New York at Stony Brook – Stony Brook, NY
Internship & Residency
New York Medical College – Valhalla, NY
Languages SpokenArabic, English
Years of Experience
- Robotic Surgery
Schedule an Appointment
For “New Patient” visits only.
ALL CONDITIONS TREATED
- Urologic Cancers (adrenal, kidney, ureteral, bladder, prostate, penile, and testicular)
- Kidney, Ureteral and Bladder Stones
- Prostatic Enlargement (BPH)
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Urinary Incontinence
- Evaluation of Blood in the Urine
- Elective Sterilization (Vasectomy)
- CentraState Medical Center
- Bayshore Medical Center
- Raritan Bay Medical Center – Old Bridge division
- American Urological Association
- Society of Robotic Surgery
- Endourological Society
- Golden Key Honor Society
AWARDS & HONORS
- 3rd Prize Clinical Category – Endourology Fellow Essay Contest: July 2013. “Stone disease in living-related renal donors: Long-term outcomes for transplant donors and recipients”
- 1st Prize Video – 27th European Association of Urology: February 2012. “Second generation instruments for robotic single site kidney surgery: Early experience in a cadaver model”
- Magna cum laude. CUNY- City College of New York. May 2003
- Dean’s List. CUNY- City College of New York (1999-2003)
- New York State Scholarship for Academic Excellence (August 1998 – May 2003)
- New York City Merit Scholarship (August 1998 – May 2003)
- Isac W, Rizkala E, Liu X, Noble M, Monga M. Tubeless percutaneous nephrolithotomy: outcomes with expanded indications. Int Braz J Urol. 2014 Mar-Apr;40(2):204-11.
- Rizkala E, Coleman S, Tran C, Isac W, Flechner SM, Goldfarb D, Monga M. Stone disease in living-related renal donors: long-term outcomes for transplant donors and recipients. J Endourol. 2013 Dec;27(12):1520-4.
- Rizkala ER and Monga M. Controversies in Ureteroscopy: Wire, Basket, and Sheath (Review Article). Indian J Urol. 2013 Jul;29(3):244-8.
- Autorino R, Khalifeh A, Laydner H, Samarasekera D, Rizkala E, Eyraud R, Stein RJ, Haber GP, Kaouk J. Robotic Partial Nephrectomy for Completely Endophytic Renal Masses: a Single Institution Experience. BJU Int. 2013 Sep 10.
- Rais-Bahrami S, Rizkala ER, Cadeddu JA, Tugcu V, Derweesh IH, Abdel-Karim AM, Kawauchi A, George AK, Autorino R, Bagrodia A, Sonmezay E, Elsalmy S, Liss MA, Harrow BM, Kaouk JH, Richstone L, Stein RJ. Laparoendoscopic single-site pyeloplasty: Outcomes of an international multi-institutional study of 140 patients. Urology. 2013 Aug;82(2):366-72
- Rizkala ER, Khalifeh A, Autorino R, Samarasekera D, Laydner H, Kaouk JH. Zero Ischemia Robotic Partial Nephrectomy: Sequential Pre-placed Suture Renorrhaphy Technique. Urology. 2013 Jul;82(1):100-4.
- Eyraud R, Long JA, Snow-Lisy D, Autorino R, Hillyer S, Klink J, Rizkala E, Stein RJ, Kaouk JH, Haber GP. Robot-assisted Partial Nephrectomy for Hilar Tumors: Perioperative Outcomes. Urology. 2013 Jun;81(6):1246-51.
- Autorino R, Khalifeh A, Laydner H, Samarasekera D, Rizkala E, Eyraud R, Haber GP, Stein RJ and Kaouk JH. Repeat robotic partial nephrectomy: Feasibility and early outcomes. BJU Int. 2013 May;111(5):767-72.
- Laydner H, Autorino R, Isac W, Khalifeh A, Panumatrassamee K, Long JA, Eyraud R, Rizkala E, Stein RJ, Kaouk JH. Robotic retroperitoneal transvaginal natural orifice translumenal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) nephrectomy: feasibility study in a cadaver model. Urology. 2013 Jun;81(6):1232-7.
- Laydner H, Autorino R, Isac W, Khalifeh A, Panumatrassamee K, Kassab A, Long JA, Eyraud R, Rizkala E, Stein RJ, Kaouk JH. Reply. Urology. 2013 Jun;81(6):1238.
- Rizkala E, Fishman A, Gitlin J, Zelkovic P, and Franco I. Long Term Outcomes of Lymphatic Sparing Laparoscopic Varicocelectomy. J Pediatr Urol. 2013 Aug;9(4):458-63.
- Isac W, Rizkala E, Liu X, Noble M, Monga M: Endoscopic guided versus fluoroscopic guided renal access for percutaneous nephrolithotomy: a comparative analysis. Urology. 2013 Feb;81(2):251-6.
- Isac W, Kaouk J, Altunrende F, Rizkala E, Autorino R, Hillyer SP, Laydner H, Long JA, Kassab A, Khalifeh A, Panumatrassamee K, Eyraud R, Falcone T, Haber GP, Stein RJ. Robot-Assisted Ureteroneocystostomy: Technique and Comparative Outcomes. J Endourol. 2013 Mar;27(3):318-23.
- Guillotreau J, Yakoubi R, Klink J, Autorino R, Long JA, Hillyer S, Miocinovic R, Rizkala E, Laydner H, Stein RJ, Kaouk JH, Haber GP. Robotic partial nephrectomy for small renal masses in patients with pre-existing chronic kidney disease. Urology. 2012 Oct;80(4):845-51.
- Panumatrassamee K, Autorino R, Laydner H, Khalifeh A, Eyraud R, Rizkala E, Stein R, Haber GP, Kaouk J. Cryoablation versus minimally invasive partial nephrectomy for small renal masses in the solitary kidney: impact of approach on functional outcomes. J Urol. 2013 Mar;189(3):818-22.
- Long JA, Lee BH, Guillotreau J, Autorino R, Laydner H, Yakoubi R, Rizkala E, Stein RJ, Kaouk JH, Haber GP. Real-time Robotic Transrectal Ultrasound Navigation During Robotic Radical Prostatectomy: Initial Clinical Experience. Urology. 2012 Sep;80(3):608-13.
- Kaouk JH, Autorino R, Laydner H, Hillyer S, Yakoubi R, Isac W, Kassab A, Rizkala E, Stein RJ. Robotic Single-site Kidney Surgery: Evaluation of Second-generation Instruments in a Cadaver Model. Urology. 2012 May;79(5):975-9.
- Rizkala E and Monga M. Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy in the 21st Centrury: Improvements in Instrumentations. AUANews. 2012 Sep;17(9):1,5-7.
- Verit A, Rizkala ER, Autorino R, Stein RJ. Robotic laparoendoscopic single-site surgery (R-LESS): From present to future. Indian J Urol. 2012 Jan;28(1):76-81.
- Rizkala ER and Franco I. Ex-Vivo Ureteral Spatulation During Laparoscopic Pyeloplasty: A Novel Approach to a difficult problem. Journal of Endourology. 2010 Dec;24(12): 2029-31.
- Rehman J, Rizkala ER, Chughtai B, Khan SA. Hypoechoic testicular mass: a case of Testicular and epididymal sarcoidosis. Urology. 2005 Sep;66(3):657.
Always check with your health insurance carrier before scheduling any type of service. You can learn the details of your individual health insurance plan, including the amount of your copay, deductible, and coinsurance by visiting your health insurance company’s website or by calling their customer service department.