Michael Benson, MD
Accepting New Patients
Dr. Michael Benson grew up in Miami, Florida. He attended the Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis, and graduated with degrees in Finance and Healthcare Management. He then pursued his interest in medicine and earned his MD from Boston University School of Medicine. In medical school, Dr. Benson was a key delegate on a mission to Nicaragua to provide medical care to underserved communities.
Dr. Benson completed his Internship at Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School and was awarded “General Surgery Intern of the Year” for his excellence in patient care. He continued on to his Residency in urology at Rutgers, and honed his skills as an open and robotic surgeon. Dr. Benson is board certified by the American Board of Urology.
Dr. Benson counsels each of his patients uniquely and makes recommendations based on each individual case. His mentors include some of the most prolific robotic and minimally invasive surgeons in New Jersey, and he hopes to continue along their path of providing exceptional patient care.
Boston University School of Medicine – Boston, MA
Internship & Residency
Rutgers, New Jersey School of Medicine – Newark, NJ
Languages SpokenEnglish, Hebrew, Spanish
- Endoscopic Laser Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
- Male Sexual Medicine
- Penile Prosthesis Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Treatment of BPH
Schedule an Appointment
For “New Patient” visits only.
ALL CONDITIONS TREATED
- Kidney Stones
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Enlarged Prostates (BPH)
- Kidney Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Overactive Bladder
- Urinary tract infection
- Hypogonadism – Low Testosterone
- American Urological Association
- Sexual Medicine Society of North America
- Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity
- Clara Maas Medical Center
- Mountainside Hospital
- St. Barnabas Medical Center
AWARDS & HONORS
- Diplomate, American Board of Urology (2021)
- Winner-American Urological Association (NY Section) Chief Debate (2019)
- Golden Apple Teaching Award Nominee (2015-2019)
- Veterans Affairs Service Excellence Award (2016)
- General Surgery Intern of the Year (2015)
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car Scholar (2006-2010)
- Morgan Stanley Richard B. Fisher Scholarship Finalist (2009)
- Benson, M. Lee S, Bhattacharya R, Vasy V, Zuberi J, Yasmeen S, Ahmed M, Hanna, M.K. Metanephric Adenoma in the Pediatric Population- Diagnostic Challenges and Follow-Up. Urology (2018) Accepted for publication.
- Benson, M. Hanna, M.K. Prepuce Sparing: Use of Z-Plasty for Treatment of Phimosis and Scarred Foreskin. Journal of Pediatric Urology (2018).
- Benson, M. Hanna, M.K. A Novel Technique to Construct a Neo-Scrotum out of Preputial Skin for Agenesis and Underdeveloped Scrotum. Journal of Pediatric Urology (2018).
- Chang, C., Benson, M., & Fam, M. M. A Review of Agent Orange and its Associated Oncologic Risk of Genitourinary Cancers. Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations (Vol. 35, No. 11, pp. 633-639). Elsevier. (November 2017).
- Talwar, R., Benson, M., Fam, M., Bargman, V., & Patel, N. N. The Open Approach to Severe Stent Encrustation: A Consecutive Case Series. Urology. (January 2017).
- Evaluating Urology Residency Program Websites for Female Sexual Dysfunction Content: Does it Exist? Moderated Poster Session, SMSNA San Antonio 2017.
- A Novel Technique to Construct a Neo-Scrotum out of Preputial Skin for Agenesis and Underdeveloped Scrotum, Podium Presentation, Pediatric Urology Fall Congress, Montreal 2017.
- The Utility of Alkaline Phosphatase as a Marker for Response to Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Hypogonadal Men, Moderated Poster Presentation, AUA Boston, 2017.
- National Trends in Utilization of Penile Prosthesis Surgery in the Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease, Moderated Poster Session, AUA Boston, 2017.
- PSA Levels are not Affected by Anastrozole in the Treatment of Hypogonadal Men, Ferdinand C. Valentine Medal & Resident Essay Contest 2016.
- Quality Improvement Initiative: Reducing Surgical Cancellations at the Veterans Affairs Hospital, VA East Orange Campus Quality Improvement Grand Rounds 2015.
Always check with your health insurance carrier before scheduling any type of service. You can learn the details of your individual health insurance plan, including the amount of your copay, deductible, and coinsurance by visiting your health insurance company’s website or by calling their customer service department.