Mount Sinai School of Medicine – New York, NY
Internship & Residency
Mount Sinai Medical Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons – New York, NY
Dr. Kenneth Ring earned a Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, from Williams College in 1981 and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his medical degree from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York in 1985, where he was a member of Alpha Omega Alpha, the National Medical Honor Society and received the Lange Award for Academic Excellence.
He completed his preliminary surgical training at the Mount Sinai Medical Center before completing a residency in urology at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University. He has authored more than 18 published articles and book chapters on various urologic topics. Dr. Ring is certified by the American Board of Urology.
Dr. Ring has been listed in the Castle Connolly Guide, “Top Doctors in NY Metropolitan Area” from 1997 to 2017. He has also been selected four times as a “Top Doctor” in New Jersey Monthly as well as being listed in the New York Magazine “The Best Doctors in New York” issue.
Dr. Ring’s areas of interest include pediatric urology, prostate cancer, minimally invasive therapies for benign prostatic enlargement, pelvic surgery, and endoscopic management of stone disease. Dr. Ring has served as Chief of Urology at Overlook Hospital in Summit, NJ. He is currently an executive board member of the NJ Patient CARE and access coalition.
- Adult and Pediatric Urology
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Male Infertility
- Urinary Incontinence
- Urologic Oncology
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
- Radiation Oncology
- Stone Disease Management
- Pelvic Reconstruction
- American Urological Association
- American Association of Clinical Urologists
- New Jersey State Medical Society
- Union County Medical Society
- New York Section – American Urological Association
- American Lithotripsy Society
- NJ Patient Care and Access Coalition – Executive Board Member
- Top Doctors in NY Metropolitan Area, Castle-Connolly Guide (1997-2016)
- The Best Doctors in New York, New York Magazine (2001, 2013-2015)
- Top Doctor, New Jersey Monthly (2001, 2007-2009, 2012)
- Top Doctor, Inside Jersey Magazine (2010-2018)
- Top Doctor for Cancer, Inside Jersey Magazine (2013)
- Top Cancer Doctor, The Star Ledger, Inside Jersey (2013)
- Overlook Hospital – Summit, NJ
- St. Michael’s Medical Center – Newark, NJ
- The Stone Center of New Jersey – Newark, NJ
- Clara Maass Medical Center – Belleville, NJ
- The Center for Ambulatory Surgery – Mountainside, NJ
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital of Rahway – Rahway, NJ
- Ring KS: Management of abscess and enterocutaneous fistula in a patient with Crohn’s disease. Mount Sinai J Med., 54: 450, 1987.
- Ring KS, Axelrod SL, Burbige KA, and Hensle TW: Meconium Hydrocoele: An unusual etiology of a scrotal mass in the newborn. J Urol., 141: 1172, 1989.
- Ring KS, Bandyk MG, Benson MC, and Sawczuk IS: Documentation of cellular proliferation during compensatory renal growth. Surgical Forum XL: 686, 1989.
- Benson MC, Ring KS, and Olsson CA: The determination of stage D-0 carcinoma of the prostate using prostate specific antigen density. Urologist’s Correspondence Club, June 1989.
- Benson MC, Ring KS, and Olsson CA: Ureteral reconstruction and bypass: Experience with ileal interposition, the Boari flap-psoas hitch, and renal autotransplantation, J Urol., 143: 20, 1990.
- Ring KS, Burbige KA, Benson MC, Karp F, and Hensle TW: The flow cytometric analysis of undescended testes in children. J Urol., part 2, 144: 494, 1990.
- Ring KS, Karp F, and Benson MC: Enhanced detection of bladder cancer using the epithelial surface marker, EMA: A preliminary report. J Occup Med., 32: 905, 1990.
- Benson MC, Ring KS, and Giella J: Flow cytometry in carcinoma of the prostate. Urol Clin N.A., 17: 885, 1990.
- Ring KS, Karp FS, Olsson CA, O’Toole K, Bixon R, and Benson MC: Flow cytometric analysis of localized adenocarcinoma of the prostate: The use of archival DNA analysis in conjunction with pathological grading to predict clinical outcome following radical retropubic prostatectomy. The Prostate 17: 155, 1990.
- Hensle TW and Ring KS: Partial and Total Bladder Reconstruction. Urol Clin N.A., 18: 701, 1991.
- Ring KS and Olsson CA: Prostate Surgery: Anatomical Overview, in Genitourinary Surgery, ed. Droller MJ, p 650-656, C.V. Mosby Company, St. Louis, 1992.
- Ring KS, Olsson CA, and Benson MC: Surgery for Prostate Cancer, in Genitourinary Surgery, ed. Droller MJ, p 667-676, C.V. Mosby Company, St. Louis, 1992.
- Benson MC, Whang IS, Pantuck A, Ring KS, Kaplan SA, Olsson CA, and Cooner WH: Prostate specific antigen density: Means of distinguishing benign prostatic hypertrophy and prostate cancer. J Urol., 147: 815, 1992.
- Ring KS and Hensle TW: Total Bladder Replacement in Children. In Bladder Reconstruction and Continent Urinary Diversion, 2nd Edition, ed. King L, Stone A, and Webster G, YearBook Medical Publishers, Inc.
- Ring KS and Hensle TW: Urinary Diversion, in Clinical Pediatric Urology, 3rd Edition, ed. Kelalis PP, King LR, and Belman AB, p. 865-903, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, 1992.
- Hensle TW and Ring KS: Urinary Reconstruction, in Pediatric Surgery, 2nd Edition, Ed. Ashcraft KW and Holder TM, W. B. Saunders Company.
- Axelrod SL, Ring KS, Burbige KA, Collins M, and Hensle TW: Eosinophilic Cystitis in children. Urology.
- Kaplan SA, Ring KS, and Sawczuk IS: The use of a titanium prostatic stent in the management of acute urinary retention. Videotape, Center for Biomedical Communications, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University. Presented at American Urological Association Meeting June 1991, Toronto, Canada.
Presentations & Published Abstracts:
- Ureteral reconstruction and bypass: Experience with ileal interposition and the Boari flap-psoas hitch techniques. Ferdinand C. Valentine Essay Competition, New York – 1988.
- Flow cytometric analysis of adenocarcinoma of the prostate: The use of archival DNA analysis in conjunction with pathological grading to predict clinical outcome following radical retropubic prostatectomy. Ferdinand C. Valentine Essay Competition, New York – 1989.
- Flow cytometric analysis of undescended testes in children. U.A. annual meeting, Dallas, Texas – 1989.
- Documentation of cellular proliferation during compensatory renal growth. American College of Surgeons meeting, Atlanta – 1989.
- The prediction of fertility status and potentially pre-malignant changes in the undescended testes of children with unilateral cryptorchidism using flow cytometry. American Association of Pediatrics, Section on Urology, Chicago – 1989.
- Enhance detection of bladder cancer using the epithelial surface marker, EMA. International Conference on Bladder Cancer Screening in High Risk Groups. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, CDC, Cincinnati – 1989.
- Diphallus and penile agenesis: A case of double or nothing. Society of Pediatric Urology Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 1990.
- Bivariate flow cytometric analysis of bladder washings using a monoclonal antibody to human epithelial membrane antigen. Ferdinand C. Valentine Essay Competition, New York – 1990. (Honorable Mention)
- Bivariate flow cytometric analysis of bladder washings using a monoclonal antibody to human epithelial membrane antigen. U.A. annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 1990.
- The treatment of acute urinary retention in high-risk geriatric patients using a titanium prostatic stent. Ferdinand C. Valentine Essay Competition, New York – 1991. (3rd Prize Clinical Investigation)
- Numerous lectures to physicians and laymen on a variety of Urological topics including prostate cancer, benign prostatic hypertrophy, urinary tract infection, pediatric urology, interstitial cystitis, and the overactive bladder.
- Aetna Signature Administrators
- Emblem PPO/EPO (GHI)
- Empire BCBS
- GHI HMO
- Horizon BCBSNJ
- Railroad Medicare
- St. Barnabas Health Plan
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare Community Plan
- Wellcare of NJ (Medicare)